Thursday, January 19, 2012

"White Shoulders" - portrait painting nude figure painting oil on canvas

14 x 18"
oil on canvas

White Shoulders is a famous perfume from the 40's. I always see it mentioned in novels, but I've never actually smelled the stuff. This painting has a kind of old-fashioned feeling to me - for one thing, I made the model look about 20 years older than she is, and the hairstyle also looks outdated, even though what I didn't include in the composition was the riot of dreadlocks exploding from the crown of her head!

2 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

Lol, Sarah, you are making me feel old! White Shoulders was still around long after 1940s and used to be my favorite perfume when I was in my 20's because it is a gentle but romantic fragrance.

I like the relaxed look of her shoulder in this, and the shadows cast on her back and face.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

The way you captured the expression in her eyes is amazing. Congratulation - a lovely painting