Thursday, February 20, 2014

Another Self Portrait and Another Road Trip!

 "Self Portrait, February 2014"
14 x 11 inches, oil on canvas
Sold

Last week, once Snow-maggeddon finally melted (and the power came back on and my car was towed out of a ditch), Carol and I hit the rainy road to Portland for a brunch date with a group of awesome artist-bloggers. There were a lot of familiar faces in attendance, and one new to me, but a blogger I've been following for years, Don Gray. What a pleasure to meet someone in person and feel like you already know them so well!

Because you can never have too much of a good thing: artist-friends, delicious brunch food, cute dogs, painterly commiseration, new-work-sharing...

Below, clockwise from top: Annie Salness, Carol Marine, Ruth Armitage, and Randall David Tipton; Lulu the cutest damn dog in Oregon; Sarah Peroutka; Don Gray and Randall; Jo Reimer, Don, and his wife Brenda. Present, but not pictured: Gretha Lindwood. Huge thanks to Ruth for hosting us at her stunning home.


As far as this self portrait is concerned, (and I should say something about it, huh?), I painted it while cooped up in the snow (but before the power went out).  I used a Zorn palette, and really wasn't planning on even finishing it, but ended up liking it. The nose is a bit short, the chin maybe a bit too big, but you'll have that. Until you come to Eugene and meet me, you can't really argue!

8 comments:

G. Lindwood said...

So nice to meet you and to see your beautiful work! I love this self portrait.

Kim Rempel said...

I find something about this self-portrait so immediate and fresh. Perhaps my favourite of yours!

Annie Salness said...

It was such fun and very informative! Thank you to Ruth for welcoming us into her home. BTW, I love this self portrait!

Ruth Armitage said...

It was great seeing you and your beautiful work again, Sarah! I think self-portraits are one of my favorite forms of portrait, including this one....

Randall David Tipton said...

Nice account Sarah! I sure wish we lived closer!

Jo Reimer said...

Nice post, Sarah. And a wonderful self portrait. It was so good to see you again.

Sarah Sedwick Studio said...

Thank you all. Fellowship among artists is the best part of art-blogging. I'm sure you all agree. :)

Mona Diane Conner said...

Sarah, best self-portrait ever!