Saturday, November 1, 2014

I Planned on Painting Fish....

 "Louis (the Fish)"
11 x 14 inches, oil on canvas
Sold

Well, I thought it would be a no-brainer. Oregon coast...fishing boats everywhere....I should paint some fish, right?! Turns out, it's harder to procure a whole fish, on the coast, than I thought. 

Since I didn't arrive prepared to catch my own, there wasn't much available that wasn't filleted. I did have an interesting encounter with an enormous tuna in a walk-in freezer on highway 101 just south of Newport, but I balked at buying - mostly because that fish was large. Damn large.

I hate to tell you this, but I bought this sad little guy at Safeway. He's a Tilapia.


He gets his name from a favorite childrens book of mine, Louis the Fish

And here's a work-in-progress:

1 comment:

Diane Mannion said...

Wonderful work... even if you didn't catch it!