Wednesday, May 6, 2015

I'm Kind of a Plant Lady

 "Floats and Flora"
12 x 12 inches, oil on canvas
click to buy

As I've shared with you before, I'm kind of a plant lady. I did actually once work as a professional plant waterer in office buildings, but my houseplant obsession was already well established by then. It's the kind of thing where, even though you know you have no where to put them, you can't resist buying more. Then they get bigger, and you have to prune them....but you can't throw those pieces away!?! Hence, lots of baby plants. Like the one in this painting. It's a Peperomia Jayde, and I bought the parent plant back in the Cleveland days, so over eight years ago now.

Here are some plant paintings of mine from years past.

3 comments:

Caroline Greene said...

I love how you've described all the different surface textures - the shiny, delicate transparency of the glass, the dense, dull roughness of the pot, the waxy gleam on the leaves. I have caught myself apologising to a plant as I cut a stem.

Caroline Greene said...

P.S. Oops, different plant pot, I was thinking of the painting in your link; this one is clearly glazed!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

beautiful painting .
Love the glass and although my house plant days are (kind of) over except for a few orphan Christmas Cactus cuttings forever, living in tiny glasses of water on windowsills, I can't throw away a cutting either ;)