Thursday, September 8, 2016

Alla Prima Portrait Sketch; Limited Palette Workshop Demo

 Zorn palette portrait workshop demonstration painting by Sarah Sedwick
 "Sketch of A."
approx 8x11 inches, oil on Arches oil paper
Sold

This month marks two years since my first portrait painting workshop. Amazing how time flies! And although I've painted this model quite a few times, it's always nice to revisit a familiar face - especially one with such lovely coloring. I've got pinks, peaches, greens, lavenders, and orangey-browns in those flesh tones - all mixed from three tubes of paint! 

My work-in-progress shows how I painted the face out beyond the contour lines, and then re-drew that edge with the darks in the hair. I also painted the setting of the eye before putting too much detail into the eye itself. 
And the ear - well, I got that on there early and then left it alone, because this.

Zorn palette portrait workshop demonstration painting by Sarah Sedwick

4 comments:

Caroline Greene said...

I'm going to print that quote off and put it up somewhere. We all know it yet I at least often have to wrestle with myself to leave out the detail even though I love other artists' paintings that leave my brain some work to do. This has a lovely stillness, Sarah.

Sarah Sedwick Studio said...

Thank you, Caroline! I totally agree with you about the wrestling with yourself. It feels like that sometimes!

pencil sketch said...

pencil drawing sketch, cartoon drawing art, sparkle effect & write text on your simple image or pencil drawing sketch. Now move your pic into the stylish self-portrait with best image editing tool. pencil sketch

Profile Maker said...

Profile Maker or All Text DP Maker allows you to create incredible text effects, easily and quickly. Make your events Text DP like Eid Mubarak DP, 14 August DP, Christmas DP, and many others events text dp to download this all text dp maker app and make your stylish text dp easily. At any time you can share with your contacts. It will be shared as an image picture.
Profile Maker