Friday, August 18, 2017

Green Loops

 
 "Green Loops"
10 x 20 inches, oil on canvas
$500

It's been a while since I ventured out of the square format canvas - thought outside the box, if you will - and it feels good! 

I paint a lot of red delicious apples with my students.  I always choose red delicious over other varieties of red apples because they have the fewest striations, variegations, freckles, etc, to confuse an eye that's trying to discern clear light and shadow patterns. And their velvety garnet color - so rich it's almost purple - gets me every time. 

Here's how this piece came together.....


And here's the still life. Just a side note: I'm actually drinking one of these apples in a smoothie as I'm writing this. Talk about multitasking!


You can see more behind-the-scenes studio pictures like this, all day every day, on my Instagram. ;)

No comments: