Thursday, May 24, 2012

"The Striped Leggings" female figure portrait painting woman girl fine art

 Alternate post title: "I painted someone with clothes on!" 
11 x 14"
oil on canvas
Sold

This morning I headed over to the Art Center for their clothed figure open studio. I've never attended on Thursdays before - 9 am to noon can be a tricky time frame for me - but I had a blast and I'll definitely be going back. I really love painting portraits. In fact, I prefer clothed models to nudes, but I'm going to have to learn how to simplify those fabrics if I want to get a painting done in 3 hours. The folds and patterns of drapery over a form can be so much more engrossing (and time consuming) than, say, a stomach! Below are my work-in-progress pictures - the second one was taken at the end of the session, and I finished up at home.  

Ooh, another perk of the clothed model - I can post a photo of the sitter! Head over to Facebook to see.
(click on the image to see it bigger)

2 comments:

Sunshineshelle said...

I headed over here from Tracey Potter's blog - this painting is great - yep know about the 'material' challenge, just realised that may be why I like nudes too ;) Now off to check on your facebook page!

Darla McDowell said...

I love your figurative work, Sarah. And thank you for so generously sharing your progress photos. You're awesome!