Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Early early.

 "Yaquina Head Lighthouse from Agate Beach"
11 x 14 inches, oil on canvas

One of my favorite things to do at the coast is run on the beach. Early. The light is so spectacular at sunrise. Instead of running this morning, I dragged my gear out onto the beach (not a short hike), optimistically planted my umbrella in the sand, and began to paint. Well, the light - and the umbrella - didn't last long. But I got this down on canvas before I was forced to flee by the advancing sun.

After wading back through the rapidly drying sand, I retreated to town for coffee and breakfast!



 Painting with subject, taken well after I'd gotten the intial light/shadow realtionships down.

...And in case I haven't made you Oregon-coast-jealous enough: my lonely easel on the sunrise-washed beachscape: 

 

1 comment:

Sandra Busby said...

It's been a long time since I painted a landscape, but lately it's been on my mind that I'd quite like to do one... These are inspiring! I particularly love the ocean rock post... amazing!!