Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Another Coast Still Life, and Excitement in the Mail!

 "Stone, Shell, Glass, Metal"
8 x 8 inches, oil on canvas
Sold

Conveying various textures is something I talk about a lot in my workshops. The trick to differentiating a rough rock from a smooth blown-glass ball is all in the transitions between values, which sounds ridiculously simple, but it isn't. Really, it's all about observing. The transition from a highlight to a midtone is what shows our eyes whether they're looking at a piece of velvet or a shiny metal pot. Is it a smooth, gradual transition, or a sharp juxtaposition of bright light next to dark? 

Speaking of painting tips....I just cracked open a very exciting envelope from Random House: my friend Carol Marine's new book!


 I was lucky enough to receive my copy early because I'm included in the book! Carol used this funny picture from last year's Bad Art Destruction Party:


Plus, she included one of my paintings as an example of using perspective in a still life.


What an honor! Really, if you paint, or know someone who does, this book is a must-own. Go buy it!

No comments: