Saturday, March 18, 2017

Change and Experimentation

 "Two Oranges (Blue Scrap)"
8 x 8 inches, oil on canvas

The last of my 8x8 orange paintings from Playa, and the only piece I made there that I'll be auctioning online. 
It felt good to have familiar subject matter to fall back on during my first week at the residency - in an unfamiliar studio, in an unfamiliar landscape...an unfamiliar landscape with schizophrenic weather, I might add! One morning, I wake up to a rainbow, the next, SNOW! These pictures were taken from the same spot - I was just reluctant to venture all the way out to the railing to take the second one. Can you blame me? (By the way, both shots were taken between 7 and 8 am.)


With nature in such a blatantly experimental mood, I felt inspired to try some new things myself. Here's a pencil sketch on Arches oil paper that I painted over - from memory. It's amazing how having the sketch underneath helped my recall of color details, even with the still life itself dismantled. 

I did spray-fix the graphite before painting on top. 

"Playa Vessels"
6 x 12 inches, graphite and oil paint on Arches oil paper
collection of the artist ;)

4 comments:

LindaHunt said...

Interesting technique....it reminds me of Morandi in a way....much more subdued and less color interaction.

Helene Adamson said...

The oranges are yummy, but I really admire all the varying surfaces and textures you captured in "Vessels." How very skilled you are, Sarah.

Anonymous said...

Love it, how do you mix the color for the silver?

Latest Sports News said...

looking original...