Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A Portrait Commission

 
"Untitled - Portrait Commission, May 2016"
18 x 24 inches, oil on canvas

It's cool how one thing leads to another, isn't it? The woman who commissioned this painting saw my portrait of a friend of hers, and decided I'd be just the artist to update a very sweet wedding-night portrait of her and her husband of 38 years! 

I really enjoyed spending time with these two, in their sunny living room surrounded by enormous house plants and blooming orchids. We had three in-person sittings, and then I completed the painting from photo reference.

I started getting to know them with a quick sketch:


Once I feel that a portrait is finished, I send an image to my clients for approval and suggestions. Here is my preliminary finish, on the left, and the final painting, including their suggested changes - which were all just right. Can you spot any of them?

 

 Framed and ready to deliver:


Do you have a portrait project you'd like to discuss? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments: