Thursday, June 2, 2016

Teaching The Figure

 "Nude with a Pear"
11 x 14 inches, oil on canvas
workshop demo price: $200

My Limited Palette Figure Painting workshop happened last weekend, here in Eugene. This was kind of a trial run for me - I've taught portrait several times, but never the nude figure - and I can humbly report that it went very well!  

On Friday evening I did a demo, which was open to the public. A few students of mine from other classes and private lessons joined the workshop attendees to watch.


The next morning, we started off with 4-value paintings. Two light flesh tones, and two dark ones to model the whole form. See? It can be done! And it's a great way to start a painting by working from the general (large shapes of value) to the specific (small anatomical details).

My demo of the 4-value exercise. 9x12" oil on Arches oil paper


Here is the progression of my demo from the second day. I can hear you thinking, 'All these demos, when did the students have time to paint?' They didn't watch the whole time - I just used this piece to demonstrate certain phases of the process. 


Believe me, much painting was done by my students.... 


Incredible painting!


I have two more workshops just like this one still to come in 2016 - one in September in Malibu, CA, and one in December in Eugene. Join me!

1 comment:

Chris Beaven said...

Congratulations on the success of your workshop. I've been following your blog for a while now and it was nice to see your work at the Brackenwood Gallery here on Whidbey Island. Your paintings are wonderful and I can see your hard work paying off. Keep painting, keep posting!