Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Limited Palette Portrait Painting

 "Beth"
9 x 12 inches, oil on canvas
Sold

 This is my two-hour demo from Limited Palette Portrait, which I taught right here in Eugene over the weekend. Below is the progression - I tried to snap a picture at each model break, so every 30 minutes. It went through an ugly stage just before the end, eh? 

 
The limited palette we use in this class is also called the Zorn palette - cadmium red, yellow ocher, and ivory black - plus white. We started the weekend with a simple color chart. 

As one of my students recently described it - the difference between just mixing up the colors on your palette, and actually painting them on the chart is like the difference between driving through a neighborhood and walking through it. I love that analogy! 


If you'd like to try walking through this neighborhood yourself, you can find my color chart template here.
Two intense days of painting for my students! I saw a ton of progress in a short time - their work speaks for itself!

No comments: