Saturday, September 5, 2015

Cityscape!

"Starlight"
12 x 16 inches, oil on canvas

Two weeks ago, I participated in Eugene's annual plein air paintout. I registered in the cityscape category, because, well, quite honestly....there are a ton of amazing landscape painters in this town, but not as many artists seem to be interested in cityscape. I'm finding more and more lately that "plein" old landscapes - grass, trees, water - just don't do it for me. I need some man-made stuff in the mix to spark my interest.

Here I am, mid-painting. You can even see my sweet silver car in the background!

Here's the scene. That blue against the sky was pretty enticing, but it was the satellite dishes that clinched it for me! 
 
 
 My work-in-progress:

 For me, the craziest part of any plein air contest: the car-trunk frame shop!

 And later that day, posing with my framed entry:

This story even has an unexpectedly happy ending - I won the cityscape category! There was so much good work this year....what an honor.

No comments: