Monday, June 20, 2016

Color Mixing For Painters

 

I  seem to be blogging about nothing but teaching lately - probably because I've been lucky enough to be doing a lot of it! Last weekend found me in Shreveport, Louisiana, mixing up a storm of paint, and enjoying some real storms, some serious humidity - and serious air conditioning.

This workshop, "Color Mixing for Painters," is designed for beginner/intermediate students, but I firmly believe that exercises like these can benefit painters at every stage in our development. I know I get something out of them each time. 

Grayscale value studies help us practice seeing the relationships between adjacent values.
You can watch a short video of my demo (on the left) on YouTube.



 Translating those values into color is the next step - and if you're familiar with my painting and teaching, you know how much I love using apples for studies like these! Check out this incredible student work:


 

 Thanks again, Shreveport. I will be back!

1 comment:

ThumbkinLabs said...

Hi Guys. I made a FREE app that will test and help sharpen your color skills.(This includes color mixing). Just like you, I also came from an industry where color really matters and by making this tool, I managed to improve my visual and color skills. I wanted to share my simple app (my daughter made all the drawings) and i hope this app will continue helping people as much as it helped me. If you have time to test my app, please do give me feedback so that I can improve this further. You can download it at https://goo.gl/Qz1QLH (BTW, I am not selling anything and no in-app purchases. This is completely free)