Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Self Portrait

8 x 10"
oil on Ampesand Gessobord
Price on Request

When I paint self-portraits, they always turn out looking either mad or sad. My expression in the last one I did (which is now my profile picture) has been described by people who know me as "harsh." Well, it's been said before by better artists than me: it's pretty difficult to look in the mirror, paint, and maintain a benign expression for several hours at a stretch - let alone smile! So, if you think I look a bit sad in this rendering, keep in mind that it's 95 degrees here today and my studio is in the attic - you'd be crying too!

5 comments:

Bill Sharp said...

I don't find this severe, especially given the circumstances. I liked your other self portrait as well.

Susan Carlin said...

I love your portraiture, Sarah, whatever the expression. It feels fresh and spontaneous, belying the several hours you spent. Lovely.

Grandpa said...

I know from experience that when one is working hard one does'nt necessarily smile a lot. You're concentrating and therefore capturing your serious side.
Bravo!

Andrea said...

Hi Sarah,

I love your work! I really like your colors and your brushmarks are so fresh. I love this portrait but I also really like the way you capture fabric and glass so well.

Sunny Bower Art Studio said...

excellent!