Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Old In and Out

 "Calla Lilies by the Open Door"
8 x 6 inches, oil on canvas
Sold

 OMG, I couldn't resist. This is exactly what goes through my mind every time I paint a scene that includes both indoor and outdoor elements. No one should ever watch movies, ever, really, right? My apologies aside, what's a blog for if not to expose your mental issues thought process?

Here's my work-in-progress, anyway:

 It's a huge challenge, capturing any subject backlit by a window. The trick is to keep the outside SO much brighter than the inside, but also very neutralized, or dull, colorwise, since it is seen through glass. I almost got there in this painting - I had trouble darkening the gorgeous whites of the lilies sufficiently to really sillouhette them. Can you blame me? I'm still charmed by my results. Charmed, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

I like this one!
Your colors are so pure, and muted.

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Ah..the calla - one one my favs to paint - they have such a pure design. The subtle value changes have me in awe. This is another really lovely painting