Friday, April 19, 2013

Random Roundup: What a Week!

"The Florist"
 9 x 12"
oil on canvas

Here's my portrait from yesterday morning's open studio. I was going to wipe it before I even left the Art Center, but was dissuaded by the gentle encouragement of my painting friends. After bringing it home and letting it hang out in my kitchen for a bit, I realized that that red shirt kept catching my eye as I breezed past. And I have to admit I'm drawn to the strange dynamic between his dignified face and those flowers....

My start was terrible. I believe this goes in the category of "I was stupid to share it," but hey, it's the Random Roundup. No shame.


In other news(papers), The Gallery at the Watershed was written up in our local daily this week, and the photo they published was yours truly, making this painting last week. It was entirely coincidental that I was there when the photographer arrived, and I might even call it fortuitous, if I had been identified in the photo they ran in their paper, online, and on Facebook. Go to your grave gracefully, print journalism. 

(Here's a link to the article, really a very nice writeup of an exciting addition to our local art scene.)

source

 My workshop got off to a great start this past Monday. I'm loving my new crop of students, and their enthusiasm. Here is one of my demos from the day - in case you haven't already seen it on Facebook, it's up for auction on Daily Paintworks, starting at $1.

 "Garlic and Butter Knife"
approx. 6 x 8 inches, oil on Arches oil paper

Well, that's all the news that's random this week. I'll be painting live once again at The Gallery at the Watershed tonight from 7-10 pm. I'd love it if you came by to say hello, but please, no pictures.

No comments: