Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Plate, A Love Story

"Amy's Plate"
10 x 8 inches, oil on canvas
Sold

  Sometimes painting still life is all about serendipity. I haunt thrift stores, gratefully accept donations and loans of lovely little things from friends, and frequently paint my food - but chance is a powerful force in my work, and small romances with objects often bear fruit.

I'd been flirting with this plate - which belongs to my gallerist, and is usually a vessel for opening-night treats - for a while, but found myself awake at 5 am and thinking about it yet again this past Saturday morning. With the addition of a few things from my collection - and some eggs stolen from her family's breakfast - my vision congealed.

 Never discount the possibilities inherent in just showing up prepared to paint. The universe will always supply what we need, as artists, when our eyes are open.


In progress....the block-in

1 comment:

Laura Buxo said...

I very much enjoy your paintings. Beautiful color and confident brush stokes! Your advise is timely for me. Thank you.