Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Colorful Characters in Coburg

"Colorful Coburg"
8 x 10 inches, oil on canvas
$250

After completing my painting of Green Island, I was ready for a slightly less bucolic subject. So I headed into the town of Coburg, only a few miles away. It's a very small town, known for antique shops, with a shady gazebo in its grassy central park - which I commandeered as my plein air painting studio for the afternoon. 


The green house on the left is a photography studio. The owner was spending the sweltering afternoon relaxing on his front porch, and soon headed over to see what I was up to - and to snap a picture, which he generously printed out for me. My only other company were some friendly geocachers, whose quarry ended up being directly under the floorboards I was standing on! I don't pretend to understand geocaching as a hobby, but I'm sure there are PLENTY of people who don't understand packing up half your studio and toting it 20 miles into the middle of nowhere to paint in the baking sun for the day, either!

No comments: