Monday, April 25, 2016

The Primary Palette

 "Cut Apple" 
8 x 8 inches, oil on canvas
Sold

This weekend, I taught at two-day oil painting workshop called "The Primary Palette," painting still lives using a three-color palette. Color choice is up to each artist - any red, yellow, and blue combo they like.

I chose Cadmium red light, Azo yellow, and a new-to-me color, Maya Blue, by Rublev paint

Painting with a palette like this is a great way to get acquainted with new-to-you colors.


Above, you can see my color wheel - beautiful oranges and greens, very dull (but beautiful) violets. That's the result of a yellowish red combined with a muted blue - and my demos of the awesome "Stroke Economy" exercise. A workshop favorite!

And here is some of my students' work. Fabulous!


3 comments:

Jana Bouc said...

Your color wheel chart is very cool. Did you create the form you used and/or is it available anywhere to copy or print and use? Thanks! I always love getting your posts in my email.
Jana

Jana Bouc said...

I found the form online! Yay!

Anonymous said...

wonderful class sarah! i learned so much this weekend and love using the limited palette of colors. thank you for this informative workshop -- it was everything i hoped it would be.