Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"Sketch for 'Layla'" portrait painting oil on canvas young woman girl

8 x 10"
oil on canvas
Sold

Here is the preparatory sketch I did for a portrait commission I just (as in 15 minutes ago) finished. My biggest challenge was keeping the loose, painterly feel of the sketch alive in the larger (14x18, still not large by any means) final piece. I think it came out nicely. Fingers crossed until I hear from the client!

I'll be heading to figure painting tonight for another crack at this compelling pose. It should feel like stretching a tight muscle, going from a computer screen (from which I worked all afternoon) to a live model. You can follow along on twitter, or facebook.

1 comment:

Karen Boe said...

Hard for me to see this as a sketch - looks done! Can't wait to see final version - this is a lovely piece.