Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"Ripening Persimmons" art still life fruit bowl original oil painting one dollar auction

oil on Arches Oil paper
6.5 x 9.5"
Sold

      I was skulking around an art supply trade show on campus a few weeks ago, mostly dropping my name in various door-prize boxes (but not winning anything, for the record), when a friendly Canson paper rep offered me some samples of their new Arches Oil paper. "Do I have to gesso it?" was my first, skeptical response.
     "Nope."
     "And it won't buckle?"
     "Nope."
     Thinking, 'Yeah right, buddy," I took the proffered samples.
     I taped the paper to my drawing board, as you can see here:
     And it didn't buckle! End of story. For more info on this new paper, and it's secret-non-buckling-sauce, go here.
     How do you feel about paintings on paper? Do you think they are inherently less valuable than those done on canvas or panel?

3 comments:

LindaHunt said...

I am wondering if framing oil paintings under glass diminishes the beauty of the oil painting. Do you frame yours under glass? If hot then how do you display them?

This is a stunning painting!

Sarah Sedwick Studio said...

Thanks, Linda! I usually paint on canvas, and I would never frame a canvas painting under glass. With a painting on paper, I don't know! I guess just to protect it you would want to mat and frame it under glass. But I agree with you that it seems less than ideal.

JudyLynn said...

I was wondering how to frame a painting on this paper without using a mat and glass. Since canvas is easy to frame, it seems like using the paper would mean more work and time. I love your work!
Thanks