Monday, June 3, 2013

Painting the Figure en Plein Air....and my Guinea Pigs.


"In Patti's Garden"
16 x 16 inches, oil on canvas
Sold

What an awesome morning! As many of you know, I've been spending my Mondays painting with a great group of ladies - and as some of you may know, I'm teaching a plein air figure workshop in August. So... I thought I would use them as my guinea pigs, and take advantage of Patti's gorgeous garden, which she generously offered us, even though she is spending her week on a torturous death-march hiking the Rogue River trail.

We were lucky to get one of my favorite models, the lovely Ali. I was a bit nervous early on, especially about the weather - when we were arranging the pose, it was overcast and about 60ยบ, though the day's forecast called for mid-70's and sunny. I encouraged Ali to wear a sweater - but thankfully, she overruled me. By the time we all got our drawings down, the sun was blazing and the mercury was rising!

By the start of the second hour, sunblock was being applied.

I felt a bit off at first, but quickly warmed up, literally and figuratively. (Bonus Pun!)


I invited Carol to join us today because I had a hunch it would be a blast. She finished two great sketches in the 3 hours we painted. Hopefully, this won't be the last time she paints with the Monday Ladies!

...And for those of you wondering about my recent whirlwind camping trip, here's the best photo I managed to take of the fun times. Gabriella and I admiring our gear in the swanky campground bathroom. Swanky, indeed - it had a mirror (and showers!)!



1 comment:

Kim Rempel said...

It's really wonderful Sarah!