Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Painting Patterns and Persimmons on Periwinkle. Period.

 
 "Persimmons and Periwinkle"
20 x 16 inches, oil on canvas
Sold

I've been working hard and loving it. The only downside of working on larger, multi-day paintings is that I miss my small still lives (and my #2 round brushes). I still have my preparatory sketches, though! Here's the sketch for this piece: 

"Persimmons and Periwinkle (sketch)"
10 x 8 inches, oil on canvas

As you can see, the blue-on-white patterns look a little more polished on the larger canvas. Sketching them wet-on-wet is fun, but if you have the patience to paint the fabric and let it dry a day or two, patterns go on quite a bit more smoothly!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I love that patterned cloth! So pretty with the blues, and yellow/orange persimmons. I always admire the way you paint cloth, with the creases, wrinkles and folds done so well. And the fruit with the leaves and stems is always so nice in a painting. I bought one persimmon the other day at the store, $2.00 a piece!

kunst said...

beautiful still life!