Friday, November 1, 2013

Preparation Pays Off

 
 "Persimmon Plenty"
20 x 16 inches, oil on canvas
Sold

When I sat down in front of this groaningly overloaded platter of persimmons, I knew I'd better start with a get-comfortable sketch. I wasn't working out the composition as much as familiarizing myself with the interaction and movement of the fruit within the dish. The larger painting just flowed off my brush - I even enjoyed the drapery - which makes me think I may be entering another drapery phase. It's a good way to spend chilly late-fall afternoons, really: cuddled up to my studio space heater, immersed in the details of folds.

This preparatory sketch is the final offering of my One Dollar Auction week, and bidding is open for a couple more days:

"Persimmon Plenty (sketch)"
8.5 x 6 inches, oil on paper
Sold

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi Sarah,
I haven't visited your blog in a while and am so happy to see your new work.

About the recent persimmon paintings- posted Nov 1, I LOVE THE 8.5 X 6 inch painting !!! ( much more than the very refined painting. ) That little painting is powerful, raw and radical painting ! and absolutely beautiful !!! much better than you think !
I love it. I want it....but not sure my husband will agree to buying art right now. ~sandra