Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Four lovely ladies....three wearing clothes.

"Green Miranda"
9 x 12 inches
oil on canvas
Sold

 

 I'm really enjoying experimenting with limited palettes lately. It's not like I was using a ton of colors before - and I'm sure I will go back to my normal palette at some point. Yesterday I laid out white, Cad red, a green mixed from Ultramarine blue and Cad yellow, and yellow ocher, and made a series of mixes and tints. These work very well as flesh tones - the only thing is that there's really no 'darkest-dark,' but I didn't miss it until I got to the eyes and hair.

Here's me checking my values about 2/3 of the way finished:
 

The best part of the night was being joined by two of my favorite artists - Carol and Gabriella! It's always fun to travel in packs. I'm thinking of dubbing us the Lady Artist Mafia of Eugene. Yep, L.A.M.E. (OK, maybe not.)

 
(image source)
8 x 8" oil on panel © Carol Marine

Carol's painting above and Gabriella's below:

16 x 20" oil on canvas, work-in-progress © Gabriella Soraci

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You mention limited palette - thats good - you ll have to make value and density choices, rather than color.

jeff
jeffevanspaintings.tumblr.com