Thursday, March 14, 2013

I Endorse the Scrape-Down, with Metaphors

  
"The Brown Beret"
8 x 10 inches, oil on canvas
$200

I love this model, Jessica, because she always picks great outfits. Today I felt like she was a character from a movie set in some bygone era. Not sure quite which, but even her facial expression was dripping nostalgia. And on this 8 x 10 inch canvas, I had to capture that expression using my signing brush. It has like four hairs. I don't usually do that, but when I do, I make sure to have an extra cup of coffee so my hands feel like they're shaking the whole time. (Art tips!)

Here's a shot after the first 45 minute sitting next to the finished piece. I lengthened the torso and completely repainted the legs somewhere in between these two. I also scraped the face before the last 45 minutes, hence no middle picture.
 
I never go back and mess with my older paintings. I'd rather throw them out and start from scratch. During the process of making a painting, though, you have to be willing to edit, delete, spell check, carpet bomb, and decapitate to get what you want.

3 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

NIce work and post!

Anonymous said...

Cool website buddy I am gona suggest this to all my list of contacts.
check it out

Unknown said...

I love this piece of work, I agree, she does look as if she stepped out of an old film! I am amazed you get so much dome in the time. I am in the UK and trying to move our life drawing group forward, with little money. I'd love to hear about your group setup when you have time