Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Excuse me, but could you please hold still?

 
"The Green Pushpin"
8 x 10 inches, oil on canvas
$200

If you've ever tried to paint tulips, you know that they are big movers. It's almost eerie - like they're alive or something! Especially if you've got a light on them, they open, swivel on their stems, make faces, do improv comedy sketches, etc...

It's actually pretty fun to try to capture them. I like models who shift around slightly during a pose for similar reasons. I know artists who are driven insane by models who don't "hold still," but I truly feel their small movements help me capture a more naturalistic vision of them.

Speaking of figure painting, I will be back at it tonight, and couldn't be happier!

Here's my mess of a palette for this one - as you can see it's not limited in any way. I recently came by some new (to me) paint, and I'm trying out some of the colors.


And here's the preparatory sketch:
"Sketch for 'The Green Pushpin'" 
approx. 8 x 5 inches. oil on Arches oil paper.
Sold

4 comments:

Fay Terry said...

Sarah, this painting is one of my favorites. Your composition is magical and the colors are so harmonious.
The paint tubes look like Grumbacher, which I've been using for a long time with a few supplements of Gamblin colors.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Put a penny in the vase to keep the flowers still and not open up! Lovely work

Sarah Sedwick Studio said...

Thanks, Fay - I also love Grumbacher. It's the brand I used growing up, but I don't see it in the art stores around here lately. These tubes are so old, there's a Burnt Sienna with a price tag of 80 cents!!!!! They are all still soft and squeezable, though, or I wouldn't have bought them (29 tubes for $40.....) And Margaret - thanks for your comment! I'll definitely have to try that next time.